Hey everybody! When people find out that I worked for Instacart, a company that allows you to order your groceries online and have them delivered in as little as 1 hour, they always ask, “what’s it like?”
Given that I no longer work for them, I think it’s a great time to share what it’s like. 🙂
1. Nice pay. As a delivery only worker, I got paid $15.50 an hour.
2. I got to pick my own schedule. I was required to set my availability a week in advance or I could just pick up hours.
3. I got paid weekly. Every Wednesday.
4. I met great people. 🙂 Most people were very friendly and kind.
1. Not enough sense of structure or order within the company. Technically, I didn’t have a boss because I was an “independent contractor”. But, they still treated us as employees. Instacart expected quite much but gave little.
2. I did not get reimbursed for gas, EVER. If I was told to be at Whole Foods Market and no order even came for me to deliver, I was out of luck. WASTED TIME AND GAS.
3. If I set my availability from 1 pm -3 pm, I would sometimes receive orders at 2:45 pm. This was not good if I had to be at my other job by 3 pm or 4 pm.
4. All communication is through email. I had specific questions about my pay that had changed without warning. I waited weeks for a response and I still didn’t get one.
5. Drivers are not tipped. Not even half. I got paid 4 dollars for each delivery. That’s it. I didn’t get paid for all the stairs I had to climb, all the huge orders from Costco I had to load and carry. Lol.
Working for Instacart was not horrible. I enjoyed it. Most of the time I didn’t feel like I was really working. So, that was a plus. 🙂
Any questions? Please feel free to comment. Love you guys!